No injuries have been reported by officials at this time. The four-alarm fire brought in crews from across southeast Connecticut.

MYSTIC, Conn. — A home, building, vehicle, and boats are destroyed after a massive fire ripped through a seaport marine in Mystic overnight. 

The Mystic Fire Department was called to the area of 2 and 4 Washington Street around 9 p.m. on the report of heavy smoke. 

Power was shut off to the area and is expected to be out for the rest of the day. 

When crews arrived, they found the heavy smoke and fire and began attacking the flames at once. The fire quickly was elevated to a four-alarm fire, and Mystic Fire Chief Anthony Manfredi Jr. said with each alarm elevation, crews gained two extra engines, a truck, and a rescue truck. 

The fire took place about 3/4 miles south of the popular tourist attraction, Mystic Seaport.

Crews quickly moved to defensive operations, tackling the blaze from the outside. Manfredi said the fire was a wind-driven one, causing difficulties in putting out the flames. Firefighters also had to protect homes to the north on Washington Street as the winds changed from a southerly to a northerly direction, according to Manfredi. 

Manfredi said the destroyed building was home to a few businesses, including Prestige Boat Sales. Three boats were inside the building. A boat outside of the building, along with a truck, was seen destroyed by the fire. Manfredi said it’s not confirmed how many boats were destroyed. 

A home near the commercial building was also destroyed. 

Manfredi said a person was home at the time but left as they smelled smoke and were not injured. The owner’s pet was also not injured. 

A firefighter at the scene was treated for smoke inhalation but was released on scene and not taken to the hospital. 

Manfredi called the fire a “very dangerous situation” as electrical wires also fell to the ground. Initially, Eversource was asked to shut the entire electrical grid down before it was narrowed to just the immediate area. 

Along with the wind and electric wires causing issues, Manfredi said access was also difficult due to narrow roads. There were also concerns over water supply, and Manfredi Jr. called in additional tankers, but they were not needed as a fire fighting boat in the water aided with water.  

At this time, the cause of the fire is still under investigation, and Manfredi said crews are expected to be at the marine the entire day. 

The fire drew in a large crowd to downtown Mystic.

“It was just a big blaze over there,” Dominique Allen, who came from Groton to see the fire, said. “It’s pretty big for this small area. It’s a small town.”

A Norwich Fire Department Union uploaded a video on their Facebook page stating multiple buildings were involved and a few have collapsed. Local residents say there were old offices of the marine that are no longer standing.

Matt Beaudoin owns Mystic Knotwork a few buildings down from the fire. He said his employees were texting him the street looked like an “inferno.” He said the marine is an anchor in town that brings in a lot of summer tourism.

“I’m grateful that the firefighters were able to take care of the buildings,” he said.

By wpadmin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *